Selecting compatible material for hydrogen peroxide facilities is the first step to be taken into consideration when you are in designing phase of the facilities. Because as I explained in my previous article “Factors That Affect Hydrogen Peroxide Decomposition”, compatible construction materials of pipe, pump and tank will keep hydrogen peroxide concentration stable.
Hydrogen peroxide handling facilities at least consists of pipe, hose, pump, valve, gasket (packing) and tank. In this post I just want to show you the best materials with which I have best experiences and good results, especially for long time storage.
- Pipe: choose stainless steel SUS 316 or SUS 304L or equivalent, TIG welding with Argon as the shielding gas.
- Hose: use reinforced-vinyl hose.
- Pump: choose material same as pipe material for hydrogen peroxide contacting parts, such as casing, impeller, etc.
- Valve: stainless steel SUS 316 or SUS 304L or equivalent, ball valve with disc hole, and valve seat made of Teflon.
- Gasket (packing): Teflon or viton.
- Tank: stainless steel SUS 304L or equivalent, TIG welding with Argon as the shielding gas.
For pipe, valve and tank required to be chemical cleaned and passivated before being filled by hydrogen peroxide. Later, in the next post I will explain about chemical cleaning procedure for hydrogen peroxide facilities.